Week 5 Story - Lava and Kusha Bartending

 On a rainy day, Puzzles, a bar on the North End of Sri Lanka, was experiencing the slower end of a business day. The bartenders have just been sitting around drinking desi daru's. A desi daru is a popular modern drink found in India made of molasses. 

As the bartenders were taking a drink of their freshly made beverage, a middle-aged man walks in soaked. The bartenders look at each other in awe because of the condition the man was in. The middle-aged man walks into the bars and takes a seat at the countertop. He asks the bartenders, "what is that drink that puts such joy on your face?" The bartenders say to the man, "This is a desi daru. We were having a slow day so we thought we should keep ourselves busy." The middle-aged man says, "I could definitely use a drink that could help me settle down." "No worries. Do you want to start a tab or close it?" says the bartender. The gentleman wanted to keep the bar tab open. He tells the bartender, "keep it open, we might be here awhile." The bartender explains to the gentleman that they have three hours until it's time till close, so he has a good amount of time. "Sir, but what is your name? Since we'll be spending the next few hours together," says the bartender. "My name is Rama. My father was King Dasharatha and I am his best and most valuable son," said the gentleman. The bartender replied, "I know exactly who you are now. You are one of the most prestigious people known around the world. But, why did you choose to come here tonight exactly?" Rama explains to the bartender that he has been dealing with family issues for a long time now. He doesn't really want to talk about it because he doesn't want to ruin his reputation about being a simp for his wife, now his ex-wife. "No worries, I completely understand. I was just trying to get a small talk conversation since it is just us in here," said the bartender to Rama. 

Rama orders his second beverage, another desi daru, and a couple other random customers walk into the bar. The bartenders were amused over Rama actually being in their bar, Puzzles. They couldn't believe that they didn't recognize him through his worn down clothes and long hair.  Both bartenders were occupied with the other customers when they noticed Rama's drink was already empty. Once the other customers were held satisfied, they return to Rama. "Ready for number three, sir," said the bartender. "Indeed, I am ready. I don't need to worry about anyone else now. Just me, myself, and I," replied Rama. "Whatever you need, I'll be here," said the bartender. 

The bartenders begin to restock essential items like ice and cups in the back. They return to the countertop and  realize Rama's drink was already empty again. They notice that his eyes are sitting low and his posture isn't perfect either. They return to Rama and offer another beverage. Indeed, Rama wanted another drink. The bartenders deliver the drink and return to the other customers. The customers paid their tab and contently left the bar. There is now an hour and a half until closing. Rama calls the bartenders over and says, "The question you asked me earlier. I want to answer it." The bartender says, "which question do you refer to sir?" "The question about what brings me into this bar today. I google mapped bars around the area and it prompted me a list. I chose this bar, Puzzles, because of the name. I am also currently in a puzzle myself, so that is why I wisely chose this bar," said Rama. The bartenders notice that Rama is most definitely under the influence now. The bartenders ask Rama, "but what is the puzzle you are in?" Rama says, "years ago, a laundry man accused his wife of being unloyal. He compared her to my then beloved wife, Sita. Sita and I had issues over loyalty, so I was on fragile ground. When I heard about people comparing their tragic love affairs to the one of my own, I had to draw the line. I told my brother to abandon Sita in the woods." The bartenders stood behind the bar in shock. Rama tells the bartenders, "the worst thing about that situation that picks at my psychological being is that she was pregnant." "We are so sorry to hear that, Rama. I understand that you had to protect your precious royal reputation, but why did you have to abandon her?," said the bartender. "At the time it happened, I didn't think it all the way through. I have regrets over it every day of my life. To illustrate the feeling of regret I have over my decision, I actually heard praising of my name on the way over here. It was different. It was almost like I was spiritually connected to the voices I was hearing. I almost wanted to park my pushpaka and chase the sound down," replied Rama. The bartenders are both still in shock. Rama questions the strange look on the bartender's faces. "What is wrong?," says Rama. "Rama, my brother and I, we were abandoned by our father before birth. Our mother's name is also Sita. We were rescued by a man named Valmiki," said one of the bartenders. "I do not understand where you are going with this," replies Rama. The other bartender explains to Rama that it was them two singing the songs of Rama. He also explains that it was Valmiki who taught them the songs. "Our names are Lava and Kusha, sir. If you really felt that way about singing, then you might be our father," said Kusha. Rama begin to look puzzled. He stared at Lava and Kusha for a long minute. He insists that they need to close the bar immediately and find Sita to ask for forgiveness, but he needs to finish his desi daru first. 

Lava, Kusha, and Rama all take a seat in the flying chariot. Once they all buckle their seat belts, Rama tells the twin gentlemen, "I knew I was being directed today by some type of force. Pleasure to meet you. Years of puzzles have settled in my head today. Sita will be the final piece."

Author's Note: The original source story was Part B of Sita Sings the Blues by Nina Paley. The original plot consists of Sita being abandoned by Lakshmana in the forest after Rama commands him to take her away. Rama's decided to send Sita away because a laundry man compared his wife to Sita for not being loyal. Then, Valmiki assists Sita during her pregnancy and raising the twins, Lava and Kusha, to praise Rama. As Lava and Kusha were singing the praising songs of Rama, Rama was able to hear and find them. At the end of the movie, Rama asks Sita to prove her purity and she calls Mother earth to take her back to the womb. I decided to put Rama at a bar to be creative and have fun with the retell of the story. I also feel like Rama probably tries to keep his reputation high at all times, so he needed a drink for the day.  Also, I incorporated the finding of Lava and Kusha in the story, but I did not let Rama meet Sita. 

Bibliography:

Sita Sings the Blues by Nina Paley. 2008. [Film]

The image above displays Sita kneeling in front of her twin sons, Lava and Kusha. This image can be found on wikipedia and Nine Ideal Women by Sunity Deeva. 




Comments

  1. Hey, AJ! Great job with this story! I really liked your use of anachronisms, especially Rama pulling up Google Maps and rolling up to a bar called Puzzles because he feels like his life is a puzzle at the time. That's really good stuff. I think that this story is really straightforward and in-depth, but I have some questions about Rama's character motivations throughout this story. You mention that he has deep regret in his heart over his decision for Lakshmana to take Sita to exile. This already seems to depart from the story presented in the Ramayana. Rama in the story never seems to possess a lot of empathy for Sita, and his wandering to find her and the twins seems to be more out of curiosity than anything else. So I would be curious as to how this iteration of Rama would treat Sita upon seeing her? Would he actually apologize and give Sita the love and attention that she deserves? I think that it would be great to see an expansion of this story, maybe in a future week.

    Cheers,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi AJ!
    This was a great story! I think it's really creative that Rama's sons are bartending for their father. I like that you used alcohol so that Rama can "take a drink" as you've said. This seems to have loosened him up a bit and helped him let go of the pressure to be the just and righteous one. Although, I'm not sure if what he did to Sita makes him that just or righteous. Anyways, I would love to see the continuation of this story to see how your version will deviate from the original. From the looks of it, Rama might make a smarter choice in yours which would be great. The only comment I have is about the dialogues. I just learned it this week, but it seems to be better to separate dialogues in different paragraphs when the speaker changes. I think that this would make your story easier to read as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Aj, I really enjoyed your plot and your creativity in this writing. I like how you were descriptive in your style of writing. I would possibly try to ask yourself, how the characters would think and get inside their minds. This would help you escalate the dialouge in your writing. I would also consider making your writing flow better by maybe spacing out your dialouge, so it is easier for your readers to follow. I would also recommend maybe shortening your writing into a simple, yet effective piece of writing. Overall I really enjoyed the idea of the bar, and the conversation between Rama and his sons. This was an idea I would have never thought of, so props to you on that. If I was you, I would think of another situation where Rama could possibly get to know his sons and build a relatioship with them. Job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello AJ,
    After reading the first line of your story I already wanted to try a desi daru! Your use of descriptive wording made the story very captivating and enjoyable to read. Some suggestions I would have would to be changing the way you format your story. The multiple lines of dialogue go great to move along the plot and make it clear what each character is thinking; however, it may be confusing when all that dialogue looks jumbled together in a big block. I would suggest making each time a different character spoke, on a new line just so that it is easier to follow. The content and plot were great and I really enjoyed the characters and setting. I think you made a great variation of the original while still keeping elements consistent. The only suggestion I have is simply the visual critique of the story and the formatting of the lines.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the Life of AJ

Comment Wall

Week 7 Story: Arjuna's Letter to Subhadra