Week 7 Story: Arjuna's Letter to Subhadra

The published version of this story is now on my portfolio here!


Dear Subhadra,  

I am still in battle against the Kauravas. The war has been balanced between both ends, but my everlasting determination has preserved my energy. I shall fight until the end with my skilled archery. 

I write to you this letter to pass forward the detrimental news of the passing of Abhimanyu. Our baby boy has been taken from our chaotic earth and has earned a place with our heavenly gods. 

It all started as Abhimanyu was in the forest alone on his chariot. Six warriors led by the evil Jayadratha surrounded him like coyotes and their prey. They knew he was alone and ruined his chariot, thus forcing Abhimanyu to leap out of the chariot. After my brothers noticed and analyzed the situation they quickly attempted to help their nephew. Unfortunately, Karna and Jayadratha together held off my brothers. 

The situation went down the drain quickly. 

With no help around, Abhimanyu stumbled on a rock because of his gushing forehead. Blood was infiltrating his vision making him look like a dear in headlights. Before he was able to recuperate and defend himself, Duhshasana's son ended his life with a mace. 

I didn't receive the news until later that evening. 

Karna and Jayadratha were able to hold the rest of our allies off. Abhimanyu's remaining corpse remained in the cold and lifeless woods. 

If I were there I would've remained with our sweet boy, but unfortunately I wasn't able to do anything about it during nightfall. I was rushing with adrenaline to avenge our son. I took a vow the same night his death was reported. I vowed to void my acceptance to heaven if I did not slay Jayadratha the next day. Everyone around the room could feel the severity of the situation. I knew my deep pain would be relieved decapitating the evil Jayadratha. 

The horns blew loud as ever the next morning. More focused than past days of battle, Krishna and I loaded the chariot and took off. 

We encountered Duhshasana, but I had no time to waste and sped by him. We then came across Duryodhana and prepared for our first battle. Bhima was engaged by Karna and Bhurishrava engaged Satyaki. Their encounters were long lasting and Krishna noticed Satyaki was weak and fatigued. As we couldn't afford another mortality within us, Krishna asked me to pass my celestial weapon. Bhurishrava's upper limbs were dismembered and Satyaki was able to slay him. 

We continued our journey. We had no problem slaying through opposing soldiers to avenge our son. At some point, I began to feel impatient. A feeling in my chest was urging me to find the murderer of our son. I asked your brother to maneuver the chariot furiously until we found the repulsive Jayadratha.  

Shortly after, we found our enemy. Jayadratha could feel the intensity. I could smell his fear through the air. He was guarded by five warriors and Karna. 

Krishna used his divine powers to create a dark cloud overcasting the intensity of the sun-light as Karna began to charge at me. The warriors and Karna were manipulated into thinking the battle for the day has come to an end. The distraction was enough for me to pace my way towards Karna. As Krishna removed the dark cloud, the sun bled sunlight brightly onto the battlefield. I slayed Jayadratha's head off his body with every ounce of muscle in my body. 

I turned around and the Kauravas sorrowed tremendously and fled with fear. I saw and heard Bhima roaring as we avenged the death of our son. 

This letter will never change the way this horrific event manifested. 

I write this letter to give you closure on the death of our beloved son. 

His brave and hardworking soul will always be cherished.

May he rest in peace. 

-Arjuna

The image above displays Arjuna slaying Jayadartha to avenge his son, Abhimanyu. This image is from Wikipedia. 

Authors Note: The original source story was Abhimanyu and Jayadratha from the Public Domain Edition of the Mahabharata. The story was originally told in third person, but I wrote it in past tense and first person perspective. The letter is meant to be written during war because this was only one of many battles fought between the Pandavas and the Kauravas. Arjuna and the rest of the Pandava brothers are heroes of the Mahabharata. This story really engages in the bravery behind Arjuna's actions showing how powerful of a warrior he is. I wrote the story as a letter to the mother of their son, Subhadra. I imagined that any father would let the mother of their child know of their passing. Subhadra is also Krishna's sister. Therefore, a letter to Subhadra would be an ideal thing for Arjuna to do. I attempted to emphasize the deep sorrow that is shared between Subhadra and Arjuna. Furthermore, I made sure to include the triumphal roar Bhima did towards the end of the story. I saw it as foreshadowing in regards to what happens in the next story of the Mahabharata. 

Bibliography: PDE Mahabharata's Abhimanyu and Jayadratha from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie. 1913.


Comments

  1. Hello AJ,
    I thought this story was an amazing way to retell the original story of the death of Abhimanyu. I actually enjoyed reading your version of the story better than the original! I think the plot made a lot of sense when written in first person as a letter to another character. Reading your story reminded me of reading diary or journal entires of famous people; their lives and the content was surprisingly interesting and also, their raw emotions are able to be seen clearer. I think your use of writing with such charged and emotional content was enhanced by the fact that the story was supposed to be written from Arjuna's point of view himself. The plot of the story, the characters, and honestly all the elements of the story went really well together, and your version remained completely consistent with the original plot. I think you did a fantastic job with this story, and my only suggestion would be to continue working with this plot with another letter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi AJ,
    I really liked how this story was written as if it were a letter! I think it gives it a very personal feel, which I am sure is what you were going for. I was really invested in this story, so invested that when I got to the end and found out that the child had passed away, I was so sad! Really great job! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi AJ! I really liked the way that you told this story, as it added depth to the story using an emotional element. The format of the story also helped it feel more personal, as if Arjuna was writing to the reader as well. I thought the ending was very sad, and could feel the pain in all of the words. I couldn't imagine being on the receiving end of this letter, as losing a child is a truly different sort of pain. Thank you for writing this and good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi AJ!

    Wow, this is such a touching letter! I think you handled the subject matter very well too, giving it just the right amount of emotionality. I really enjoyed reading this letter and I think you did an excellent job of conveying the pain and peace that Arjuna feels. I know this probably wasn't an easy story to write either since it deals with something that not many of us have experienced.

    Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the Life of AJ

Comment Wall