Microfiction: Motivational Stories

100 word story: Life is like Ice

A brilliant student at a prestigious medical school threw his writing pen across the room and angrily cleared his desk with one swing across the fine wood. He was frustrated and depleted. The student didn't know if he could do another two years of medical school. After realizing that he just went through a mini-tantrum, he decided to get a drink at a local bar. The student was staring at his cranberry vodka at the bar countertop. He realized that ice eventually melts. He began to think deeper. He realized that life is like ice; enjoy it and make the best of it before it melts. 

6 word story: Mirrors

Mirrors were made to be motivational. 

Sources: No sources were used. I kept writing different microfiction stories until I wrote something I genuinely liked. 

Author's Note: I sat in front of my open laptop screen until I came up with an idea for a story. I was drinking a to-go beverage of water from Olive Garden during the process. I finished my drink about five minutes into doing the assignment and I noticed the ice was melting. I was able to use the melting ice as an idea because I felt like I was wasting my time since I couldn't come up with a useful story. It was an iconic moment for myself. For my six word story, I have always been a firm believer that someone's only competition is themselves. I believe mirror's are meant to be motivational because we use them daily and it shows one's true reflection. 

Melting Ice taken by Katy Stoddard from flickr.com. 

Comments

  1. Hey again, AJ!
    I loved these micofictions! I love how you derived your inspiration, as well. I wrote some microfictions this week as well, if you wanted to check them out. Your six word story really spoke to me, and I cannot explain it, but I really dig it. Ive been sitting here thinking about it for a few minutes now, trying to relate it to my life, of course, and I am just at a loss. Your authors note really pointed me in the right direction, luckily. I need to adopt that mindset for sure. Sometimes I look in a mirror and get down on myself, like we all do, because we dont like what we see. But I am going to make an effort to find a motivation experience out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, AJ!

    I really enjoyed these microfictions, and they were really refreshing to read! I think that the implications of the takeaway from your Ice story are thought-provoking... if we are so focused on the future, our ice will have already been melted by then and we'll have a diluted sense of experience. Whereas, if we tune into the moment, maybe we can just sit and enjoy a cold drink as it was intended to be enjoyed.

    The mirror microfiction was really powerful, too. I've wrestled a lot with self-image, both in the past and presently, so it is all too easy for me to see a mirror as a breakdown tool. Thinking of them as motivational just might help to reframe my mindset. Thank you for that.

    Cheers,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the theme of both of these microfictions AJ! I think the first one is trying to convey the message that we shouldn't waste the time getting angry over the work we must do, because that only ever wastes time and brings our overall happiness level down. It is best not to think too much and JUST DO IT! The six word story you wrote also speaks to me, because I have recently been trying to implement this exact ideology into my life. Compare yourself to your past self, no one else! Great stuff AJ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Aj,
    I do admit, reading your microfiction made me laugh a little to myself. I completely can relate to the frustration that you feel. Sometimes these assignments can seem so trivial, so why am I beating myself up so hard to try to create such quality content? I think you did a fantastic job creating something that others could relate to, and in turn made your point about self-reflection even more meaningful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the Life of AJ

Comment Wall

Week 7 Story: Arjuna's Letter to Subhadra